Friday, June 13, 2014

Bad ideas in fiber art for Friday the 13th


I didn't buy this yarn; I acquired it in the grab bag from my fiber and textile art group.  I am grabbing and using just about any kind of yarn there is for a conceptual art project that is probably going to keep me busy for years -- way too big to make with purchased yarn.  So beggars can't be choosers.

But I have to say, scented yarn is the pits.  Although the fragrance at first whiff smells kind of nice, whiffing it continually as I crochet is enough to make me sick.  Even when I go in another room, my hands smell of the stuff.

I can't figure out who the target demographic is, or why they would like this product.  Maybe if you live upstairs from a rendering plant, this would help mask the ambient odor, but otherwise it's hard to understand the rationale.  If I want my work area to smell nice I'll pick some flowers or maybe cook up a pork chop.

5 comments:

  1. Hahaha! That pork chop sounds good! I don't knit, unfortunately, but I sure can imagine what knitting with that stuff must be like - ick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally I don't understand scented products of any sort! At least now you know why it made it to a grab bag!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe the scent washes out? It might be worth making the yarn into a skein and showing it some suds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too late -- I got it all crocheted into my project so now I don't have to worry about it any more. Apparently if it's just sitting there it doesn't emit scent. I hope whoever put it in grab bag learned her lesson and won't be contributing any more.

      Delete
  4. I got lots of yarn passed on for a big PomPom project last year and I'm so glad none of it smelled - can't think of anything worse! I don't think I could have used it. Who thinks up these products anyway?

    ReplyDelete