Thursday, January 23, 2014

Weak results -- well-deserved


A couple of weeks ago I wrote about a show at the American Folk Art Museum in New York featuring three quiltmakers.  I didn't see the show but based on the reviews and photos, didn't think much of it.  The work seemed to be really old hat compared to the good quilts that I have seen on display in many places.  I gigged the curator for her apparent ignorance of the universe of quilt art.

I was pleased to read in the New York Times this week that the show was regarded "with weak results."  That's heartening news; too frequently shows with weak material are met with huzzahs.  This time apparently the public realized the emperor had no clothes.

But how long do you think it will be before the museum does another show of contemporary quilt art?

No comments:

Post a Comment