Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Daily collage -- an update

I've written a bit about my daily art project for this year, a small collage each day.  We're almost two-thirds through the year, and I'm still loving it.  Yesterday my project was written up in a blog about daily art (apparently lots of other people do this kind of thing too).

I think my style is changing -- I hope improving -- as the year wears on.  Early in the year I was tending to compose my collages more like graphic design, with elements arranged on a plain background (I'm using library card catalog cards for the supports).



Lately, I've been trying to make compositions that more resemble pictures, with "scenic" backgrounds and people engaged in activities.  I wish I could make work like the surrealist photos and collages.


The nice thing about a daily art project, especially a small one, is that you can fall on your face one day without getting discouraged, because you know you'll have another chance tomorrow.

If you'd like to look at all my daily art, it's here.

1 comment:

  1. The surrealist collages are definitely more difficult than they look. You need a lot of images to start with, I think... The work of Geoffrey Farmer might interest you - his recent show in London was called The Surgeon and the Photographer; it consisted of his own daily project, making a figure every day, from his amazing collection of images, from Life magazine and art/anthropology catalogues from a bookstore that was closing down.

    ReplyDelete